Sunday, September 14, 2014

In Memory of Amanda Reed

This week, the paper crafting community lost one very talented and gifted designer and I lost a friend.
Amanda Reed died suddenly this week from an undiagnosed  enlarged heart.   She was only in her 40's.   She leaves behind her husband Joe and her 2 beloved kitties.  

I had the pleasure of getting to know Amanda as we designed together for Kraftin' Kimme Stamps and Stamping Bella.  I also recruited her to be a guest designer with us at SugarPea Designs.   She crazy copic coloring skills and a eye for design.   We bonded over both working in healthcare (she as a nurse and me as asocial worker.)  She was warm, funny, and always supportive.  

Losing a friend who is my age has rattled me.  Seeing Amanda's post that she had pre-scheduled go live the day after she had passed away was unnerving.   Her words in her last blog post haunt me.   

"I love this time of year, just wished it lasted longer."

She had no idea that her time on this earth was going to be cut short imminently when she wrote hat post.  She had no idea that her beautiful "Thinking of You" card would be the last card she made. 

And so, let this be a lesson to us all.  Live each day like it is your last.  Squeeze your kids.  Give your husband a bear hug.  Tell your family how much you love them.  Appreciate the smell of the cool crisp air.   Stop.  Just stop.  Breathe.  Look around.   Take it all in.   Each day is a blessing.

I am sharing the card I made that I will sending to Amanda's husband Joe.  


I stamped the Hero Arts Large Flower cling stamp in VersaMark ink onto vellum and heat embossed it with white embossing powder.  I used some Tim Holtz distress inks to paint the flowers,  I mounted the vellum onto MFT sno cone CS and rounded the corners with a corner chomper.  


I added a strip of white CS and then stamped the sentiment from the Hero Arts Say It All stamp set in MFT black licorice hybrid ink.    I added a few sequins to embellish.   

Alyce from  Kit and Clowder has started a fundraiser to raise money for Amanda's family for a remembrance headstone or memorial.  Please join me in making a donation.  No amount is to small.  
You can make your donation HERE.  




6 comments:

  1. A beautiful post for your friend. Each day is a good day. Sending you hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, such a beautiful card and a lovely tribute for someone taken from her family and friends far too soon. Having lost a close friend who was younger than myself a wee while back I know what you mean when you say how 'rattled' you feel. We really do need to live life to the full. Hugs to you, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful work of heart/art. Thanks for the reminder. Amanda's friends and families are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe it's really Beautiful Kim. Joe will love it!!
    I myself am in total shock still and really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- beautiful post Kim. I am just so saddened at shocked at Amanda's passing. It just does not seem right at all. Your tribute and card are so nice, I'm sure Amanda would have loved it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear this, Kim. Your post is very touching. We have just learned of a young friend with Cancer that has gone beyond being helped. Your post brings me to tears. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! It makes my day!