Monday, June 30, 2014

Goodbye to MFT

Well, the cat is officially out of the bag now.  In case you missed it, MFT announced that 5 of the designers are departing the team and I am one of them.   You can read about it HERE

Today is filled with mixed emotions for me.   I worked my tail off to make the MFT design team.   I had three months of guest designing for MFT in 2013 and then one day back in December, it finally happened.  Receiving that phone call from Kim and Jody inviting me to the team has by far been the highlight of my crafty career.  I started my term on January 1st.   On January 2nd, I also started a new job as the Dementia Program Director for local nursing home after leaving my job of 5 years as the Senior Clinical Social Worker on a geriatric psych unit.   Over the he past 6 months, I have learned lots of lessons and I thought I would share them with you.


1.  The designers on MFT work their asses off..........and I am talking balls to wall!  This team crafts their hearts out and manages to produce a huge number of  amazingly creative products each month.

2.  My filthy mouth is unacceptable in the MFT designer's hub and I would never be allowed to say "asses" or "balls to wall" there.    OOPS!  :)

3.  I love stencils!   Now, I will never be a Mona Pendleton (she blows me away), BUT I have found
a way to incorporate stenciling into my style and I love it!  Me and modeling paste.....who knew! Thanks for the inspiration, Mona!

4.   Taking on a new job and joining MFT at the same time = STRESS.   Stress makes me cranky.
Stress makes me tired.   Stress makes me depressed.  Stress makes me withdraw from the people I love.   Thankfully, those people I love stood by me and patiently waited for me to realize that I had WAY too much on my plate and that I just wasn't quite myself.   Thanks, friends!  XO

5.  I like to try new techniques.  I can do more than color with copics and ya know what, I like it!
After some of the MFT designers were talking about signing up for the Online Card Classes, I did the same.  I learned so much and the classes left me looking at my crafty supplies with a whole new prospective.  I highly recommend them!  

6.  Creating approximately 20 cards a month for one team plus another 8 for another while working full time, being a mom to a 10 year son and a 12 year old daughter, a chauffeur for the aforementioned duo and their friends, and a spectator / cheerleader for baseball and football games made me feel like a stamping robot and I started to lose the love for the hobby I had so much adored. Apparently, there is a limit to what I can accomplish in one day. Hmph.   

7.  Reducing my stress level immediately reignited my creativity and desire to craft!    I am not going anywhere.  My blog will will not shrivel up and die from inactivity.   Stamping is my therapy!  I  love to create!  I do want to be on design teams. I will continue to design for SugarPea Designs  and The Deconstructed Sketch.    I do want to share what I love.  Having designed for MFT is like having a gold star on my crafty resume and I am thankful for the time I spent on the team and  lessons I learned about myself.   I will set my sights on new adventures I will work my tail off to get on new teams.   


That being said, I thought I would make one last card branded with my MFT watermark to say goodbye to MFT while also playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge "W is for White."


I started with a sweet tooth CS card base.  I popped up the next layer that I created with the MFT Die-namics Chevron Cover-Up


I created the sentiment panel using a die from the Die-namics Horizontal Stitched Strips.  I stamped the sentiment from the Fall Foliage stamp set in black licorice ink.  I created the flowers using the Die-namics Royal Rose and Die-namics Mini Royal Rose.   The leaves are from the Die-namics Upsy Daisy.  

And there it is.  My final card as an MFT Designer.  Thanks for the fun ride!  Thanks for the lessons learned!  Thanks for the free stuff!  God, I am going to miss that!   
Thanks for everything!  

XO,
Kim 

22 comments:

  1. I love this post because it is honest and heartfelt. You are one of my crafty crushes and I am proud of all that you have accomplished! Good for you to step back and to reassess. Your final card is amazing. Stunning, clean and inspiring as always. Hugs to you, Kim!
    Lesley xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate but don't let yourself get overwhelmed. It's not easy being everything to everyone. Family, job and creativity. Wish you all the luck on your next phase . Your cards are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Kim! I will miss seeing all of your amazing MFT creations but totally understand the need to put your family first. Your kiddos will be grown before you know it and you don't want to miss out on any of their important "stuff" right now :) So glad you're not leaving us at SPD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card! Your MFT work has been amazing, but good for you for recognizing the need to make a change and following through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best to you, Kim. You have been an inspiration to me and I will miss seeing your around MFT. At the same time, I am glad you are taking care of yourself and family. I follow your blog, so I will look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your potty mouth will be missed! I honestly don't know how you did it all. You are certainly going out with a BANG with this GORGEOUS card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty card!
    Glad you are de-stressing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well... Donkey...sometimes you need to move on...or travel....to NC :) Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card. I love you AND your potty mouth,Donkey! xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kim how I will miss your posts on the MFT blog but being an RN working nights in Aged Care I know exactly how hard work and family life can be..........then adding the further commitments I dont think I could do it and I have so been there where I have withdrawn from things outside of the home due to tiredness. I so wish you the very best and delight that your blog will still be full of awesomeness :) take care of you and your family <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post, girlie. Say it along with me - BALLS! Your card is phenomenal. We'll all miss you and I personally will continue to stalk your blog.....good luck in your endeavors with Wendy! She's pretty awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh you will b missed each month on the MFT releases but I totally understand where you are coming from with it all. I work 40 hours a week and take care of an eight yr old a long with Cinderrella chores! !! Big Hugs, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  13. You totally rocked that time you were on the MFT team and your creations have never looked so fabulous. It's okay to make your loved ones priority and start crafting because you love to craft, and not because you have to. Your blog speaks for itself, you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know that I know what you're going through Kim! I got to the same point but have now reduced my DT commitments from 8 teams down to 3 - and it feels sooooo good!

    I love your last card for the team - it is gorgeous and I'm gonna case it!

    Love you honey and thanks for all of your support when I needed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your card is fabulous! Your post reinforces my belief that I couldn't cope with the pressure of a big name DT and my busy, busy job, Time to chill out and enjoy your crafting at a more relaxed pace hun, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Lesley up above..this post is honest and heartfelt and enjoyed reading it and couldn't believe how you kept up with everything. Sounds stressful and does take away from enjoying what you did, so good for you to de-stress and go back to what you love and more time with family. I love your creations, layouts, and creativity and always look forward to your blog posts. This one is amazing and love the all white look. Your so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your card is beautifully stunning! Thanks for honestly sharing - you will be missed at MFT. You chose the best - family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your card is unbelievably striking and original! I would've never thought to raise up a die cut like you did with your chevron background. I love the dimension you created with that technique and those flowers are definitely drool-worthy (in a good way). I was also touched by your post. I don't know you personally, but I could absolutely relate to your heartfelt thoughts and lessons learned. We all come to that point where we have to weigh what's in our heart against what we've gotten ourselves roped into, and I've learned that when I've picked family first, I've never regretted it. I'm proud of you for recognizing that you were "losing the love" of creating art and for having the courage to do something about it. And I'm so glad that you shared your card with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog. It really did inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!!! To the post and the card GF! I guess we will have competing potty's!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this card. Love your words. Love your style. I'm a HUGE fan!!

    Peace & Luv,
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!!! An absolutely stunningly beautiful card ~ so striking and just wonderful!! Thank you for sharing your project and for joining us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kudos for reminding everyone it's ok to push the pause button in life. Beautiful classic card.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! It makes my day!