Sunday, October 24, 2010

Gift Card Holders Tutorial (version 2)

There are lots of versions of gift card holders that you will find if you surf the net.  I did a tutorial that you can see here on one of my favorite kinds.  This tutorial is on my other favorite kind.   Here is pic of some that I have made. The tutorial is below.


Here is how to make these:

Cut a piece of card into a 4.5" x 6.75" piece.  Score it at 1.75" and 4.5". 
Turn it and score .25" from the edges. 


Now cut off all of the .25" section that you scored
except for the sections along side the 1.75" section.
These will be the flaps to make the pocket in which the gift card will sit.

Fold the .25" sections inward, apply adhesive to the backs of them,
and then fold the 1.75" section up to create the pocket.

Apply a 1/2" x 4" decorative strip of designer paper  to the edge of the pocket.

Round the corners of your flap for a more polished look.  I used my corner chomper.

Add a 1.25" x 4" decorative strip of designer paper to outside of the flap.

Lay out a strip of matching ribbon as shown above (approx. 10") and apply adhesive as shown.  This will make tying the ribbon much easier as it keeps the ribbon in place. Then close the flap.

I like to add a little more adhesive on the front
to keep that ribbon nice and snug.

Tie your ribbon into a knot or bow.

Cut a velcro dot in half.  I stick the halves together and then close the flap
so I don't have to worry about trying to line things up correctly.

I used a 1 3/4" scallop circle punch
and 1 1/2" circle punch to make this embellishment. 
I used Papertrey Ink's Border's and Corners Circle Stamp Set 
as well as a sentiment from Stampin' Up's Vintage Labels stamps set.

Attach the Hapy Birthday embellishment and you're done! 


12 comments:

  1. Wonderful tutorial for a VERY useful project. TFS!
    Cheers, Karen
    alteredscrapbooking dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Last year for Christmas we got my dad gift cards from each of the grandkids, the store didn't have any envelopes. I am bookmarking this! We love to give gift cards as little thank yous as well.

    :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous tutorial girlie!! I'll be using this for sure over the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was just what I was looking for. I'll be making them again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful! Great job!!! I'm hosting a homemade card swap over on my blog and would love it if you would join us! http://makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com/2012/02/homemade-card-exchange-wanna.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Instead of just putting the gift in a greeting card, add a special personalized touch by making one of these unique gift-Card Holders yourself..:-)and one more point is that..Gift cards are the perfect last minute gift when you are in a pinch to get a gift quick or you have no idea what to get someone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to keep it in mind and will use these steps for Gift Card envelopes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet and i was wondering that where you been in this period because i was missing your stuff for a long time and at last got that good news from your side,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post with nice details. I will try to make Plastic Card Holders. I want to make something new. I appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really interesting detail info....thanks you share this...i will try these prints on myPlastic cards!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! It makes my day!